Spider veins are small dilated blood vessels that appear as thin blue, purple or twisted red lines on the skin’s surface or mucous membranes. It looks like a spider web or tree branches, with which it is termed as spider veins.
Generally, spider veins occur due to damaged or weak valves in the vein and it affects most commonly on the legs, hands and face (cheeks, nose, and chin).
Hormonal changes, age, genetics, prolonged period of standing or sitting, wearing tight clothes, overweight, constipation, certain medications, stress, blood clots, overexposure to sun’s harmful UV rays, etc. are some other triggers causing spider veins.
However there are usually harmless but in certain cases, it causes pain, swelling, throbbing rashes, itching around the affected area and restless legs. If not treated properly, it results in varicose veins or skin ulcers.
Before using over the counter medications or creams, just give a trail to natural home remedies to get rid of the problem.
Home Remedies for Spider Veins:
Listed below are the best natural remedies that reduce the appearance of spider veins, improves circulation and prevent the problem effectively.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) improves blood circulation and thus reduces the swelling and pain caused by spider veins on the skin.
- Soak a piece of clean cloth in a bowl filled with raw and organic apple cider vinegar.
- Take out the cloth and wring it to remove the excess vinegar.
- Place it on the affected areas and wait for 15 – 30 minutes.
- After that, remove the cloth and repeat the same for 2 – 3 times daily.
Note: Or drinking a glass of water mixed with 1 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and a little of honey to enhance proper blood circulation and to get rid of the problem.
Method – 2: (Ginger)
Ginger helps to break up the buildup of a blood protein called fibrin in the areas where the veins are injured and makes the veins less visible. It also lowers the blood pressure and helps for proper blood circulation to get rid of veins.
- Cut 1 – inch piece of finely washed fresh ginger root into thin slices.
- Pour these slices in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Simmer it over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add enough honey to it.
- Stir well and drink this ginger tea to get rid of spider veins.
- Continue drinking ginger tea for 2 – 3 times daily till you cleared the spider veins.
- Or simply chew ginger slices, include ginger in diet, have ginger ale, etc. to get relief from the problem.
- If you’re taking any blood pressure medications or blood thinners then consult your doctor before using ginger.
Method – 3: (Horse Chestnut)
This herb strengthens the veins and reduces the discomforts caused by spider veins with its excellent anti-swelling and anti-inflammatory properties. It has been proved that usage of horse chestnut or its extract will give relief from mild – moderate venous insufficiency.
- Add 1 tablespoon of horse chestnut tincture in 10 tablespoons of distilled witch hazel.
- Stir well and apply this mix on the affected area.
- Leave it on for few minutes and reapply it for twice daily till you get rid of spider veins.
- Or apply horse chestnut seed gel topically on the spider veins affected areas for twice daily.
- Also, take proper dosage of horse chestnut supplements by consulting your doctor.
- Avoid using horse chestnut if you’re pregnant or nursing women or taking blood thinning medications or suffering from kidney or liver diseases.
Method – 4: (Witch Hazel)
Witch hazel contains volatile and tannins compounds that strengthen your blood vessels to diminish the appearance of veins on your skin’s surface. It also tightens the distended veins, reduces pain and repairs the veins to get into the normal structure.
- Pour 1/2 cup of witch hazel leaves in a pan filled with 1 cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for about 10 minutes and then discard the leaves.
- Let it cool for few minutes to reach a room temperature.
- Apply it on the spider veins affected area with the help of cotton balls.
- Wait for a minimum of 15 minutes and wipe it off.
- Do the same process for twice daily till you get rid of spider veins.
- Or apply a little witch hazel extract on the affected veins and leave it like that. Repeat it 2 times daily till you observe improvement.
- Also, mix 1 tablespoon of vitamin E oil and 1/2 tablespoon of witch hazel in a small container. Shake it well and use it to massage gently on the affected area. Wash off with cool water after it dries completely.
Method – 5: (Cayenne Pepper)
Cayenne pepper stimulates proper circulation of blood with its compound called capsaicin and it also eases the pain and swelling of congested swollen veins.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder in 1 cup of hot water.
- Mix well and drink it to get rid of spider veins.
- Continue the intake of this cayenne pepper drink for twice daily till you get satisfied results.
- Also, include cayenne pepper in your cooking (or) take its supplements by consulting your doctor (or) apply capsaicin containing cream or gel to the affected area to get rid of swelling and inflammation.
- Also, it is not recommended to take cayenne pepper for pregnant or breast feeding women.
Method – 6: (Lifestyle Changes)
These are the lifestyle changes which you have to include in your daily routine to get rid of spider veins. You need to follow them 2 – 3 times daily till you cleared the problem.
- Regular massage of the spider veins affected areas will help to improve the blood circulation and thus reduces pain, tenderness and inflammation. Warm oil massage (like olive oil, coconut oil, mustard oil or castor oil) on the affected veins using gentle strokes for 10 minutes will give you relief from spider veins.
- Exercise improves the circulation of blood to the overall body, strengthens the veins and reduces the discomforts and venous insufficiency problems. Walking, jogging, swimming or climbing stairs daily will relieve spider veins. Raise yourself on the ball of your foot and slowly get back to normal position.
- Elevation helps relieve the pressure and improves blood circulation to the affected area. Place a pillow under the affected legs or hands while you sleep or at least 15 minutes for 4 – 5 times daily. If suffering from veins on your face, then sleep on the back with your head slightly elevated.
- Compression stockings are available in knee-high, thigh-high and waist-high lengths. When worn daily, it improves circulation, relieves pain and swelling along with providing extra support. Consult your doctor to know how long and what type of stockings will help to get rid of your spider veins.
Method – 7: (Diet Plan)
Diet plays an essential role in treating your spider veins, improves blood circulation and strengthens your body.
- Include high – fiber foods like flaxseeds, berries, carrots, peas, beans, oats, whole grains, etc. in your diet to prevent constipation which in turn aggravate varicose or spider veins.
- Include foods that are rich in vitamin B, C and E like oranges, guava, grapefruits, red peppers, nuts and seeds, green vegetables, etc. to improve blood circulation along with collagen and elastin which makes the vein walls strong and flexible.
- Intake of more antioxidant rich foods like red beans, green tea, berries, prunes, artichokes, apple, spinach, cabbage, bell peppers, etc. will help to maintain strong and healthy veins.
- Drink plenty of water, fruit juices and herbal teas to stay hydrated. Cut down your salt intake and follow some low salt diet.
- Enjoy spicy foods by adding spices like garlic, black pepper, etc. in your diet which helps to break down fibrin, a hard stuff around the varicose veins.
- Intake of ginkgo biloba will strengthen the tissues to prevent veins, enhance tissue oxygenation and improves proper blood circulation. Take 40 mg of ginkgo extract to get rid of spider veins. Choose 50:1 standardized ginkgo extract which has most medicinal properties.
Tips and Precautions:
- Consult your doctor if those veins are very tender, painful or warm to the touch for immediate diagnose and treatment accordingly to get rid of spider vines.
- Regular application of arnica based gel or cream on spider veins will help to relieve the pain, swelling and other discomforts of both spider veins and varicose veins with its anti-inflammatory property.
- Don’t stand or sit in the same position for a longer time and also avoid crossing your legs while sitting, as it distract the proper blood circulation and raises spider veins.
- Maintain a healthy weight by cutting down your extra pounds and also clear abdominal fat to get rid of obese.
- Quit smoking and limit the alcohol consumption, as it is proved in research that people who drink or smoke are more prone to spider veins.
- Always wear sunscreen while going out to protect the skin from harmful sun’s UV rays. Also, choose comfortable shoes and avoid high heels for a longer time.
- It’s advisable to avoid wearing tight fitted clothes like girdles, tight pantyhose, garters or any other tight fits.